Saturday, January 26, 2013

Birchbox January 2013 Review


January 2013, a whole new year of subscription boxes! I was really excited to receive my Birchbox this month. I feel like, with anything, when starting something new, like a year, it is great to put your best foot forward and offer up something great to get the year started right. I do admit i do not normally check out the upcoming Birchbox videos, i did for January though! I saw so many great items. I was sadly once again disappointed with this subscription. I understand that Bichbox can not please everyone all of the time and there will be some down months but January should be a show off month and i just felt it fell flat. It wasn't what i expected and my hopes and let down may be a little bit of bias in the post but i will try to restrain.

This month contained 4 base item and one beauty extra.

Also included was this beauty poster that had different ways to start off the new year right (on reverse side).

What i received-

High Performance Hair Care Lumiere D'Hiver Clarifying Shampoo-
For the life of me i feel i have received this sample before. I am not sure from which box or by which company but i know i have tried it. This product isn't bad at all. It made my hair feel clean and refreshed and i think that IS a great way to start a new year. This was the largest product in my box and i did appreciate its quality and size.


Viva La Juicy-
This sample is something you can get for free at stores like Sephora and Ulta and here i am PAYING for it. I just shake my head at that. Anyway, in terms of quality, this is your run of the mill sample size bottle. There is nothing special about it. The scent is fantastic if you like soft fruit and floral scents. Feminine and flirty its a great wear. I would have liked to see a deluxe sample size of this though.


Put a Lid On It The Balm Eyelid Primer-
I recently bought The Balm Jovi palette from The Balm and i sometimes like to wear products that go together such as The Naked Palette from Urban decay with their Urban Decay Primer Potion. So i felt that receiving this was a pretty good thing. I tried it out (you will see how it preforms in my The Balm Jovi Review) and it preforms pretty well. I would say it is on par with Urban Decay but i probably would reach for my Mirenesse one's over either of those on a day where i am not using a matching product. It allows shadow to stay put for all day wear. I wish this sample size was a little larger but a little does go a long way.


I wear a lot of facial moisturizers, night creams, day creams, and the like and this was kind of just the same. I don't feel like this product ($75 for full size) was any different than my mid range products. I don't think i would go out of my way to pick this up. My skin did feel moisturized and i did like that it contained an SPF but it is not something i would ever splurge on. I only got about 4 days of use out of this so i couldn't even tell you about a week of use of this product.
 

Beauty Bonus- 
100% Pure Vanilla Bean and Honey Almond Nourishing Body Creams-
Listen Birchbox, I know you have your hands full with all your subscribers but these are ketchup packets filled with enough BODY lotion to use on the hands one time. Shame on you. Bonus my arse. I found these to smell nice and would have liked to really test these more than just one use.


Overall, really not the best month of Birchbxo but also not cancel worthy. I hope they do something special for valentines day. Did you get a Bichbox this month? If so what did you think?

If you would like to sign up you can do so here! For 10$ a month you will receive different beauty sample. While some months aren't fantastic there are good ones. Plus there is a point system! Every product you get you can review for 10 points, when you reach 100 points you get 10 dollars to spend in their shop. You can hoard these points for a year and use them on sale items. This month i got 5 items which is equal to 50 points/5 dollars. It balances it self out if your box isn't that great. 



No comments:

Post a Comment