Tuesday, August 7, 2012

August 2012 Birchbox Review


Heavy sigh, today i recieved the greatest dissapointment i have ever recieved from Birchbox. I have loved every box i have recieved thus far but this box is pale in comparison. To be fair others who have recieved their Birchbox have recieved differnt and decent items, i however got the dud box this month.


 This months box was yellow with a ruler printed on it. It is themed Beauty School and is (supposed to be) filled with beauty supplies.


 Included was a nifty booklet on how to take care of your skin in the morning (not going to lie i loved this), along with how to read a lable on a beauty product and differnt types of beauty tools are good to have and which ones do what. This is helpful if you feel lost looking at eyelash curlers and makeup brushes. For someone like this this was just a waste of paper. I still had hope though!

 What was i expecting? Well i was expecting beauty supplies that would get me through school or work or a day of being mommy. So makeup brushes or tools?? No. Lotion? Nope. Lipstick? Nadda. Mascara???? No way. So what kind of beauty products did i get? Talk a walk down disappointment lane and just scroll down.


Comodynes Hydra Tanning Face Moisturizing Summer Glow-
I received two foil packets filled with self tanning face moisturizers. I don't know about you but August and back to school doesn't really ring- lets get a tan- to me. Plus i bought my self tanners months ago. To be fair i guess this is to keep that tan you got over the summer, which makes sense, but i don't want to exactly moisturize my face with self tanner. The product itself isn't terrible. It will make you look slightly sun kissed if you're light skinned.
Price: $20.99


Comodynes Self-Tanning Towelettes-
So after you moistur-tan your face these can be used on the body. At least Birchbox is kind enough to not let me walk around with a brown face and a white body all ganguro style. For this i am thankful, i think. This works just like the Hydra Tanning Face Moisturizers. I personally will never use this in any functional way, but it will make your skin look sun kissed.
Price: $14

 These 4 tiny foil packets accounted for almost half my box.

 Next up we got some Q-tips that have a cute play on names. Beauty Fixation are Q-tips filled with makeup remover and are in little plastic wrappers so if you are on the run and need to fix your makeup or remove a little runny mascara (which i didn't receive) this would be perfect. This product isn't terrible, its a good idea, but its not something i would be excited to really receive, or even use. These are simple to use and the makeup remover is decent.
Price: $5



I shook my head when i saw this next product. Schick Hydro Silk Razor. A razor, really Birchbox? Last month there were hip headphones so this is not what i was expecting. Now to be fair this is a pricey razor, and already owning one, i can tell you they get the job done in even the trickiest of spots, and ladies you know what I'm talking about.  It also makes the Birchbox worth it's money and is considered a beauty tool. So maybe i am being a little too harsh. This also came with a coupon.




 Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy La Fleur-
I was happy about this. I love how Juicy Couture perfume smells and to receive a sample of this scent was nice. This is a blend of wild berries, mandarin, and waterlily. It has floral and fruit notes. It is very girly and some time in the future i will pick this up.
Price: $90


 DDF Brightening Cleanser-
To end on a positive note, the one item i received which has something to do with the little guide i received, is this brightening cleanser. This product is supposed to fade discoloration and even out skin tone. It is a decent size, foams up nice when i apply it to my face, and doesn't have any weird smells. I like this product. I don't think i will purchase it, but i am glad i got to try it.
Price: $38



 Some final notes.
This month %15 of every full size purchase will be donated to Pencils of Promise.



 Do you subscribe to Birchbox? If you do, did you like your box or was the grass greener on the other side? Feel free to discuss below, and please subscribe if you like my reviews!
Don't have a Birchbox? You can sign up here!
I promise other months have been better!




9 comments:

  1. A google search led me to your site as i am anxiously waiting for my birch box. I have one of the heaviest box which I think may be the same one you received with all the liquid and foil packets. The lighter boxes contained the mascara and lip thing. It seems like no one is happy with their box so far so I guess I won't be as excited for the mailman this month. But after reading your post, I will look forward to trying the DDF cleanser. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for finding my blog. My box wasn't that heavy, if you are lucky yours is heavy because it is filled with better products. I saw a lot of outcry over the reusing of a previous months items as well. Not sure whats going on at Birchbox. BTW I update every month on my subscription boxes and if you found this helpful please subscribe =]

      Delete
    2. Totally did :-) I'm an anonymous subscriber. I know I'm a lurker.

      Delete
  2. Dang! I haven't got my BB yet but I've read other August reviews. Everyone seems to be displeased. That's such a bummer! As a current beauty school student, this one made me really excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're box isn't as much as a disappointment as mine. Ive already seen a few people get pretty good items, while it isnt the best month there are better boxes than this one and i hope you get one of the better ones!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love my box this month but I got totally different products except for the razor and perfume. I got eye liner, moisturizer, and this awesome minty lip gloss/moisturizing lip treatment.
    You win some you lose some I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. Well i am glad you got a good box! Hopefuly next month i get luckier.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you one hundred per cent. I received the same items that you did and was totally disappointed in the August Birchbox. I have hope that since so many people expressed their displeasure that they will not do a repeat performance in future shipments. Thanks for your comprehensive review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I am sorry you got such a terrible box. I think this box would have been salvageable if there was at least one nice item. Like the tanning towels would have been acceptable if there was a pixi lipstick or something similar. Let us hope for a better box in September!

      Delete